The History of Lydd Airport

The History of Lydd Airport

Lydd Airport – formerly known as Ferryfield – was built as a replacement for the old Ashford Airport at Lympne for the car ferry company Silver City Airways in just 6 months and opened to traffic in July 1954. By 1959 it was one of the busiest airports in the UK, with over 250,000 passengers annually. In the early 1970s the advent of the Hovercraft and roll-on-roll-off ferries led to a decline of the air ferry services from Lydd although other passenger and freight operations continued.

Today the Airport, which has benefited from substantial investment by the new owner, sees a healthy mix of private and training general aviation, corporate jets and air taxis, cargo, maintenance as well as scheduled services to Le Touquet.